Welcome to this month’s REIP Industry Pulse.
It’s a cliché but I have to say it. I can’t believe we are only a few weeks away from Christmas 2021 – and what a year it has been!
It goes without saying that the Australian property market performance has been extraordinary, with predictions of a slowdown and interest rate increases into 2022.
As leaders we are also facing what is being termed the “great resignation” globally and here is a great article by Chris Hanley on what this means for our industry.
Here at REIP, we have been busy welcoming new members, adding new partners to our network, curating and delivering valuable content to members and working on a data hub project that we will be able to tell you more about next year.
It has been a hell of a year and I know that many of us are intending to completely switch off and reconnect with family and friends. But before we leave 2021 behind us, it’s worth reflecting back and I’ve put together some fun facts that you may want to use in your next trivia night.
- We started the year with Trump supporters storming the United States Capitol and Joe Biden was sworn in as President. History was made with Kamala Harris being appointed as Vice President
- The words of our national anthem were changed from “we are young and free” to “we are one and free”
- Qld and WA experienced snap lockdowns
- We saw our first delivery of the Pfizer vaccine and administration
- Aged care resident Jane Malysiak, 84, from Marayong New South Wales was the first person in Australia to receive a COVID-19 vaccine
- JobKeeper wage subsidy ended in March
- QLD went into another 3-day lockdown
- Mark McGowan wins the WA State election with an increased majority
- Thousands of people attend the March 4 Justice rallies across Australia
- The Federal Govt announced in April that it would be pulling Victoria out from the Chinese “Belt and Road” initiative
- The Tasmanian State government was re-elected
- Barnaby Joyce was re-elected as Nationals leaders and Deputy Prime Minister
- The Olympic Games in Tokyo went ahead despite rising infections
- Ash Barty won Wimbledon
- We recorded our first COVID death for 2021 and we start to see a rise in infections in Sydney
- Melbourne entered a snap lockdown…again
- Brisbane was announced as the hosts for the 2032 Summer Olympic and Paralympic games
- It was Census night in August
- NSW becomes the first state to surpass over 1000 COVID cases
- AUKUS was formed in September and we cancelled our submarine deal with France
- Hundreds protested against mandatory vaccinations in Melbourne, these went on for a few weeks
- There was a 5.9 magnitude earthquake in Melbourne with several aftershocks
- Melbourne Wins the AFL grand final since 1964
- Gladys Berejiklian resigns as premier of NSW in October
- Penrith wins the NRL premiership
- The COP26 summit in Glasgow was held and Australia committed to zero emissions by 2050
- Verry Elleegant wins the 2021 Melbourne Cup in November
- Victoria comes out of the world’s longest lockdown
- Cleo Smith, who went missing from a campsite in WA, was found alive
Finally, I want to take this opportunity to wish you all a wonderful Christmas, enjoy your time with family and friends and I look forward to reconnecting in 2022.
REIP Market Insights
National home values are up 1.3% for November, marking the 14th consecutive month of positive value growth. Houses continue to outperform units, regional markets and rental growth remain strong and a rise in listings is contributing to a subtle softening in the market.
In this last market insight for the year, Tim Lawless and I discuss the market growth across all states for both sales and rentals. What headwinds or tailwinds will we be facing in 2022?
Our newest REIP member Propps is on a mission to improve how we buy and sell real estate, and their industry-leading tech streamlines the offer process for both agents and buyers, saves hours in admin time and provides the premium digital experience that everyone is looking for.
You can be up and running with Propps in just a few minutes, PLUS REIP members qualify for 20% off paid agent features.
Not an REIP Member yet?
Building a better normal
Domonic Thompson, Head of Real Estate Business Banking at Macquarie Bank shares what he sees as the opportunities in the “new normal”.
We discuss why he believes that now more than ever we need to be nimble and agile in our approach to decision making, and we explore one of the biggest challenges business owners face with the need to be across multiple agendas.
Business Sentiment Survey
Macquarie Bank is inviting input from businesses around the country to gain an understanding of the impact of the extraordinary period of 2020/2021.
Survey answers are anonymous and include how new challenges have been managed and any changes that may be arising.
Participants will gain early access to the survey results and report.
Have your say here:
Keep up to date with the latest industry news.
Subscribe to REIP Industry Pulse